Family Birth Place
Preparing for Childbirth and More
At Adventist Medical Center, We Believe in Education!
Our Childbirth Education classes offer you the opportunity to learn all your options and get all your questions answered with the most up-to-date evidence based information available. We know this means you can move forward with confidence and peace to make the best choices for your unique birth, no matter what may come up. We want to work with you in helping create the very best birth experience possible.
Our knowledgeable, experienced and certified instructors work hard to create a class atmosphere that is comfortable and fun while sharing all the wonders that await you through your labor, the birth of your baby and beyond.
Our classes can support you through your pregnancy, labor, delivery, breastfeeding, caring for your newborn, the changes of becoming a family all the way through as your baby grows into toddlerhood.
Adventist Medical Center Childbirth Education proudly presents two great options:
Onsite Childbirth Class
Do you prefer to learn with other soon-to-be-parents, have the chance to dialogue with a certified childbirth educator, and be able to practice birthing technique on site? Consider this one-day class!
Taught interactively with the use of DVDs, lecture, practice and discussion – presented by a certified childbirth educator. A tour of the birthing unit is offered.
- What to expect during labor and birth
- Practice breathing and relaxation techniques and exercises
- Discuss options for managing discomfort, including water therapy position changes, medications and epidurals
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Practice proper positioning
- Learn about resources to help you after you go home with your baby
- Helpful information for new fathers
- Information on nutrition for mom and baby
For more information and/or to register, call 503-256-4000.
Understanding Birth eClass - NEW!
Unable to attend onsite childbirth classes? On bed rest? Need a flexible schedule? Consider the option of eClasses!
- Simple, easy-to-use
- Engaging videos, animation, quizzes and follow-along exercises and games
- Self-paced education for all types of learners. Online material is available for eight weeks after registration
- “Bonus Onsite Q&A Session” feature which offers in-person session with certified childbirth educator at Adventist Medical Center. Includes tour of birthing unit
Based on an award-winning, evidence-based program, our eClass is organized into eight chapters covering:
- Pregnancy – anatomy, discomforts, general and preterm labor warning signs, nutrition, body mechanics, exercise, and more.
- Labor – prepared for childbirth, signs of pre-labor, onset of labor, stages of labor with 3D animation, skin-to-skin contact, and more.
- Birth stories – See how the stages of labor unfold in real-life and watch example of effective partner support, four complete births including a non-medicated, epidural, cesarean, and single mom.
- Comfort techniques – labor support, breathing, relaxation, massage, visualization, focal points, hydrotherapy, labor and pushing positions, back labor, long labor, advice for partners, and more.
- Medical procedures – decision making, birth plans, questions to ask caregivers, induction and augmentation, fetal monitoring, IVs, medical pain relief, second-stage interventions, and more.
- Cesarean – reasons for cesareans, preparation, the surgical procedure with 3D animation, benefits and risks, reducing the risk of cesarean birth, family-centered birth tips, recovery, breastfeeding, and more.
- Newborn – newborn hospital procedures with an emphasis on skin-to-skin contact, going home, choosing your baby’s healthcare provider, newborn appearance, newborn’s world, senses, behaviors, safety issues, and more
- Postpartum – involution, lochia, perineal care, warning signs, rooming-in, baby blues, postpartum depression, lifestyle changes, breastfeeding basics, hunger signs, feeding frequency, effective latch, getting support, and more.
For more information and/or to register, call 503-251-6266, ext. 24075.
Mother-Baby Connection - for after baby comes home
Bring your baby (birth to 12 months of age) and join other new moms to ask questions, share concerns and joys, and support each other – all facilitated by a certified lactation consultant. You can weigh your baby, receive assessment and assistance with latching, have your feeding plan evaluated, and interact with other moms. No fee or registration. Just come and enjoy!
For more information and/or to register, call 503-251-6262.