Family Birth Place
The Breastfeeding Center has experts that can help mother's with both routine and challenging breastfeeding situations. The Breastfeeding Center is located on the 2nd floor in the Family Birth Place at Adventist Medical Center.
To speak with a lactation consultant or to make an appointment, please call 503-251-6262.
Inpatient Lactation Services
- Inpatient consults provided by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC).
- Maternal and infant assessment/evaluation as well as latching assistance.
- Each mother will receive a detailed education and counseling session that teaches the complexities of breastfeeding during the early postpartum period with emphasis on optimal latch technique and maximizing milk supply.
- Pump instruction and set-up for moms who need to express milk in the hospital.
- Adventist Medical Center has partnered with the Oregon Women, Infants and Children Supplemental Nutrition (WIC) Program to provide participants who have a medical need with hospital grade electric breast pump loans as part of the services received as a patient in our hospital. The breast pump loans are considered a benefit of participation in the WIC program and are provided at no charge directly through the breastfeeding center.
Outpatient Lactation Consultation
Consultations are private and last 30-90 minutes. Mothers may invite their husbands or support person to attend appointments. Consultations are available throughout all stages of breastfeeding. Common concerns include slow weight gain, low milk supply, overactive let down, jaundice, breast infections, engorgement, recurrent pain during feedings and returning to work. Different types of visits are offered as described below.
- Weight checks – before and after breastfeeding weight evaluation to measure appropriateness of intake and weight gain.
- Feeding evaluation to assure feeding behavior and feeding pattern at the breast is healthy and appropriate for the infant’s age.
- Maternal assessment to ensure that sore nipples and/or nipple damage has not occurred. Treatment plan given for sore nipple management if appropriate.
- Infant assessment for jaundice may occur if needed. If there are concerns, the Pediatrician is called and a doctor’s order for complete bilirubin test may follow.
- Other concerns addressed such as engorgement, sleep, and emotional state of the mother noted and addressed if needed.
- Opportunity to ask questions and receive continued support after leaving the hospital.
- Assist in planning and preparation for moms that are preparing to return to work.
- These visits are appropriate for moms who have been seen for breastfeeding challenges and need continued follow-up care.
- Weight Checks are appropriate for a mother/baby who have come for a previous consult and now just need weight checks to ensure baby continues to gain weight. These should take less than 20 minutes and the weights are faxed to the pediatrician’s office.
Mother-Baby Connection Group
This group meets weekly and provides helpful education and support for new moms of babies 0-12 months of age.
- All new mothers are invited to join regardless of feeding method/choice.
- Groups are facilitated by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) who is also an experienced RN.
- The class includes information on proper nutrition for infants. Each meeting includes a round-table discussion of issues, concerns and joys of parenting.
- There will be a "Topic of the Week" and time allotted for weight checks, feeding advice, trouble-shooting and socializing with other new moms.
- Class is FREE
- See our Classes and Events page for group date/time
A private appointment prior to baby’s birth will help mothers understand the breastfeeding process. It will also prepare mothers for a positive breastfeeding experience, and address any potential concerns and/or problems before they occur.
Adoption and Inducing Lactation
Mothers who decide to induce lactation in preparation to breastfeed their adopted infants will find preparation advice, guidance & counseling throughout this process during these consults.